Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Mark Wzorak - message from Ralph Passero

The DON NAGLE AOKAINC, has lost one its pioneers, Sensei's Master Mark Wzorek 8th Dan, an original student of Master Don Nagle. Master Wzorek, was one of the most skilled fighters of Master Don Nagle, his vicious tactics, and evasive movements made him almost impossible to hit.

When a black belt of Master Nagle needed to be disciplined he was chosen to kumite with Master Wzorek, during the sparring he got the message. Mark had earned a reputation as one of Master Nagle's best fighters.

In 1964, I knew Mark Wzorek, I knew he was a tough guy or thought he was, we were not friends, and had a few run ins. 1965 I joined the Army, went Airborne survived a tour in Vietnam and when I returned, had another run in with Mark Wzorek, this time he tells me I cannot fight with you, I am a 4th degree Black Belt in Karate, I just started laughing at him, he said in order to fight me, I would have to come to the dojo, karate school, and now I know he is bluffing, so I go to the school and challenge him, he and the instructor at that time explain to me I will have to join up and be a member of the class before I can fight him. I join along with my friend Butch, and on the night I join, there is black belt testing going on, and Mark Wzorek is fighting one after another, and none of them have a chance, these are black belts, and they are getting a beating beyond belief, bouncing off the walls, off the floor, and some just collapsing and dropping to the floor. This ends with his last match fighting Dennis Nagle, Master Nagle's younger brother, and he got his share also. This comes to an end, and he turns to the kohai, students sitting on the floor, and looks directly at me and says, are you ready to kumite, I do not know what this word means, then he says sparr with me, I look at my friend Butch and he says you fight him, if you start to loose I will jump in, so much for that, I look at the floor and say loud enough for all to hear, NO!, he asks again, and again I refuse. At the end of the class, we both leave in one piece, and decide to return the next night, I spent two and half hours on four basic exercises, this was after I apologized to Master Wzorek for challenging him.

I became one of his students, and when it was time for me to be tested for black belt, and I passed, he called me in front of the entire Shiai, including Kichiro Shimabuku, had me kneel down, and took off my brown belt, and gave me his OBI, a moment in my life never to be equaled. In my wildest dreams, I never expected this to happen, and never thought I would spend the next 40 years of my life in this dojo, and hang around with Master Don Nagle for 35 of them, and then become the president of the DON NAGLE AOKAINC.

Mark and I shared a friend ship and stayed close, he is a legend in the DON NAGLE AOKAINC, and will not be forgotten.

from Ralph Passero

2 comments:

Andrew Passero said...

Mark Wzorek was a good friend of mine. I was fortunate to meet him through my brother, Master Ralph Passero. Mark was all business back in the 60's and early 70"s when it came to running the karate class. No fooling around,all business. I came up in rank with his brother joe who was a very tough guy and fought just like Mark. Joe and I also went to the same high school and became friends. I will miss Mark a lot.
Mark showed me how to protect myself in the street. He explained to me that being I am learning karate, all the so called tough guys will try to test me and would pick a fight with me. He told me to tell them "Yes, I will fight you, just come down to the karate school any night" Nobody would ever show up to fight. Our Karate was known to be a fighting school and we pulled no punches. I must say, I never got into a fight in highschool. Everyone wanted to be my friend. I guess that is why my brother Ralph wanted me to join so bad. My thoughts go out to Marks family and friends.

God bless you Mark


Andrew Passero
Gilbert, AZ

Emily said...

Thank You Ralph.
Emily