Monday, October 16, 2006

Don Nagle's Obi

Grand Master Don Nagle

Don Nagle's Obi

An Obi's Travel From Grand Master to Grand Master

Now Tatsuo Shimabuku, whose real name is Shinkichi Shimabukuru, passed his Obi to Don Nagle. This occurred when Don Nagle Won the 1956 Okinawan Karate Championship. In recognition of this Great achievement, Tatsuo Shimabuku Presented his Obi to his Number One Student - Don Nagle

in turn Don Nagle passed this Obi to his Number One Student on his promotion to Sho-Dan - James Chapman.

Who passed it down to Douglas Knoxon

Who passed it down to William Adams

Who passed it down to Lloyd Russet

Who passed it down to Don Shapland

Who passed it down to Dave Bastien

Who passed it to Albert Mady's Dojo in 1987

From which it returned, full Circuit, to Grand Master Don Nagle on November 9th, 1991 in Windsor Canada.

I was with Grand Master Don Nagle at Albert Mady's Tournament in Canada when we saw a man walking around with a shredded faded Grey Blackbelt and White Obi - the person wearing the Obi was Dave Bastien.

In the course of the day Albert Mady introduced us to one another and Dave gave the Obi back to Grand Master Don Nagle.

The Obi when then located at the Don Nagle Dojo on Central Ave. until Grand Master Don Nagle passed away. It is now in the possession of his Son Sean and Daughter Michelle.

I Ralph D. Passero was there and was a witness to the event.

Don Nagle dictated this to me for the record.

Thank you Albert Mady and Dave Bastien.

1 comment:

John B said...

Hello my name is John Boyle. I was a student of Albert Mady nad Dave bastien at the time of the tournament that Sensei Nagle attended. Dave Bastien had given me a peice of the obi to sew onto my belt, and he told me the history of that particular belt. Since I am a police officer Sensei Nagle took to me and we spoke several times at the Seminar he held the night before the tournament. I showed Sensei Nagle the piece of belt that I had and said that it was from his original black belt. He was very surprised at this and seemed very happy to learn that his original belt was still being worn. I approached Dave Bastien and told him of our conversation. He then went to Albert abd they discussed returning the belt to Sensei Nagle. The belt was then returned to Sensei Nagle the next night at the banquet that followed the tournament.
Sincerely John Boyle